Saturday, February 22, 2014

A Google Plus Post on Economic Disparity

I have to say the entire idea of a cruise ship is disgusting when there's still even a single homeless person. There really is no excuse. If we can build monsters like the ship above, we can house people. 

While I do really think that we can make the world a better place for all living creatures to live in, I just don't think we can do it under our current social structures and systems. While I would like every human being to have the means to live a decent life with all necessities covered I don't think our current form of economic systems like capitalism are able to support the notion.

  • Why do I have a Galaxy S3 smartphone in my hands when an African kid can't even drink water?
  • Why am I able to take a shower without even worrying about water shortage when there are people out there who can't even dare dream of a hot shower?
  • Why are we building spaceships when we can't even get rid of poverty in our own dam country? (BTW, I just love space ships, NASA and stuff. A big fan.)

(These are some of the questions that run parallel to your "If we can build monsters like the ship above, we can house people." statement.)

I'd think about these questions from time to time. Am I evil? Am I selfish enough to do all these selfish things? What can I do to help people who can't appreciate the finer things in life that I can?

I don't think I'm evil. I'm not the culprit behind this huge economic disparity. We, as individuals are not the main culprit. We as a whole, that is who is responsible. The systems we've built. They are the culprit. They just suck at resource distribution. The individuals, we're just some of the gears stuck inside the whole machine. We should dislodge ourselves, free ourselves from this horrible machine we've built. (That is, if we have a plan to stick to after we free ourselves.)

In the future, I hope to live in a society where everyone has their basic needs like eating, clothing, and a place to rest guaranteed. You don't have to worry about making money to support your family or yourself, you don't have to worry about starving, you don't have to worry about not being able to have a house to rest in. Ah, I can dream.

This is from a Google Plus comment I wrote as a response to user +Serj Enoch's comment. I thought I'd save it for whatever purposes.

No comments:

Post a Comment